Monday, November 9, 2009

Divided ALLEGIANCES...GOD Says CHOOSE

       
Going to a major league baseball game is FUN. I absolutely love going to these games . I only went to my first one about 2 1/2 years ago, our little boy is a Atlanta Braves fan and my husband is a die-hard New York Yankees fan ( since the days of Mickey Mantle...wayyy back ).
We went this Summer to the series between the Braves and the Yankees, we were really looking forward to it.
Boy, am I one DUMB woman.
On one hand I have my precious little 8 year old boy, our little slugger who loves Chipper Jones , and loves the Braves. On the other hand I have my husband who has not seen the Yankees play in person for a good 40 years, and has always been a Yankee's big-time fan. 
They were both very excited.
The first game was great, I wear my Yankees shirt and Braves cap the first game, the Braves win ! Our little boy was on cloud nine ! I was cheering for both teams during the game , for Derek Jeter who my husband loves, Chipper who my little boy loves...and I love to see A-Rod hit.
My husband is always a good sport, so he was fine with the Yankees losing the first game ( sort-of ).

     
Then, the second game rolled around...we were all in a good mood. Unfortunately for me and my son...our next seats were in the middle of some LOUD Yankees fans...and the Yankees beat the Braves the second night pretty bad. I had to sit there, with my husband thrilled HIS team was winning and playing well ( which made me happy for him ) ...and then look down and see tears rolling down my little boy's face. I gave every Yankee's fan a dirty look when they got too obnoxious...I know they thought I was crazy as I had a Yankees cap on and a Braves shirt that night.
Bad night , with a sad boy and a happy/sad husband as he doesn't like to see his slugger like that either.
Third night..I was so stressed out by the last and final night of the series ( hoping secretly the Braves  would win ), and of course we get smack in the middle of another bunch of loud Yankee's fans again. Which of course if we were just at a Yankee's game , and no Braves...all would be fine.
But...
I had serious DIVIDED Allegiances.

  
The game ended with the Braves losing...when I was out getting ice-cream for everyone , I could hear the Yankees score over and over...and my heart was sinking. I went back to our seats, my husband looked up at me...happy and sad all at once in his eyes. Our little boy , very sad..more tears.
It was TORTURE.
When we left, some Yankee fans were high-fiving everyone who had a Yankees shirt or hat on...they high-fived my husband, started to high-five my little boy...then withdrew...and said' Oh, sorry little buddy" , when they saw his Atlanta cap and shirt. Then saw me and raised their hands...looked at me to join them...and I just shook my head and put my arm around my little boy. They looked at my different shirt and cap , then at him and me and said,
" Oh, Sorry...DIVIDED Allegiance huh...good Mom. "

It all made me think of how we all are...God tells us to Choose...He gives us this day...CHOOSE. ( "  I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that you and your descendants may live ; that you may love the LORD your God, that you may cling to Him, for He is your  life and the length of your days..." Deuteronomy 30:18,19 ).
I felt like I could NOT choose.  I wanted BOTH teams to win...impossible in reality. I think that is how most of us feel during some serious times of either judgment calls, moral lapses, emotional lapses , or physical lapses . Paralyzed, feeling unable to choose. Wanting both sides of something to continue.
Flip-flopping.
Wishy-washy.
God tells us to choose, but most of us try to hold onto divided allegiances, one foot on both sides of the line. Not committing completely to one way or the other.
Holding on tight.
To both.
One foot in the world...one foot in God's kingdom.
Holding on, a balancing act that will eventually cause us to fall , as it cannot be maintained forever. We cannot be strong enough to maintain duplicity, it weakens our core.
CHOOSE.
I know what I SHOULD do in these circumstances.
Get off the fence , put both feet firmly on one side of an issue that is testing me. Close up those options we always try to leave open...just in case.
CHOOSE.
I have not mastered this yet , but awareness of a problem is the beginning of the solution , right ?
I pray that all of us can choose for the truer purpose...for what God sees is best for us, for HIS glory above all.

CHOOSE.

Bless you and your choices,
Gina

" Never tire of doing what is right. " 2 Thessalonians 3:13



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments , please leave one if you like. I try to respond to comments,but if I'm running behind, please know that I read each one before they are published. Thanks much, Gina