Wednesday, September 19, 2012

ANTIQUE Victorian Oil Paintings on Paper Mache Flue Covers~

 
I love old antique Victorian paper mache paintings! Most were done on flue covers, and some were in the shape of flue covers, but larger and were more of a decorative accent back in the mid to late 1800's to very early 1900's time frame. People used to have a flue hole in their wall from a stove or heating system, and then when Summer came around they wanted to cover the ugly hole in the wall and put something over it. Most of the time it was a glass round picture or tin plate , or even a piece of wood. But every now and then you see a beautiful piece of art that was originally a flue cover. I have some for sale in my eBay store, I will show you a few. The large one above of spider mums and regular chrysanthemums, a whooping 17 3/4ths ins., is handpainted in oils and dated on the back 1880.
 
This one is a Hudson River school style with cows/cattle enjoying a river. It is the more typical size at 10 ins.Mid to late 1800's time frame.
 
 
Here is a precious little boy, in the snow, definite Victorian time frame, larger than most at 14 ins., and dated 1880 on the back. Close up of his face...
See how well done these are?
Here is one about 8 1/4 ins., mid to late 1800's forlorn romantic woman looking out to sea, clams or seashells on her back in the basket.
 
Another larger one at 15 ins. in diameter, a gorgeous Victorian hollyhocks painting on paper mache.
Here is one of my very favorite, a wonderful expertly painted oil on a little Victorian girl carrying wood.
 
The detail is superb. It is dated 1884, and is 10 ins.
if you collect these, know that since they are paper mache, they are very delicate, and will have evident edge wear and some minor chips to the surface. I would advise to buy then if you like them, but not if they have large broken pieces out of them or are reglued in multiple places. They are perfect for Victorian interiors and definitely add an authentic artistic element to an 1800's decor.  Many have old hangers on the back, but alot of buyers purchase easels to place them on.
You can find these paper mache paintings( if they have not sold), here.I have sold many of these over the years, and enjoy finding them to be able to sell them to Victorian art lovers.
take care everyone,
Gina


6 comments:

  1. These flue cover works of art are new to me, so thank you for showing me something I had not been aware of. I can see why people find them charming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the one with the little boy in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina,

    My understanding for the flue covers, is the stoves would be removed in the spring, and stored. Seems excessive, but that's why it's called Victorian Excess, I guess.

    Bron

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Antique ART Garden" has been included in the A Sunday Drive for this week. I hope this helps to point even more new visitors in your direction.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2012/10/a-sunday-drive_4845.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of or seen flue covers before and these examples are absolutely wonderful. I wonder if there ever was a similar tradition here in England.

    What a beautiful family you have, Gina. You must be very proud of them.

    Johnson

    ReplyDelete

  6. My beautiful daughter asked me to paint her a flue cover so to find your site was inspiring.
    Thanks,

    Carolyn in Vermont

    ReplyDelete

I love comments , please leave one if you like. I try to respond to comments,but if I'm running behind, please know that I read each one before they are published. Thanks much, Gina