Friday, February 13, 2015

Original Antique & Vintage Romantic Lovers Prints

Romantic Lovers Prints c.1880s-1940s

Happy Valentines Day~

Hello my blog friends, so long time no blogging...years I believe. I have much going on, working hard and online so much it is hard to blog as it is another online activity. I wanted to share my collection of vintage and antique lovers/couples prints from the late 1800s to early 1940s time frame. Some are vintage and antique illustration prints, they are all originals.I hope you enjoy them, I hope they make you think of love,romance and passion.


I love thee - I love thee,
'Tis all that I can say
   It is my vision in the night,
My dreaming in the day.
~Thomas Hood

Early 1900s print by W. L. Taylor
".. For two alone, there in the hall,
    Is spread the table round and small;
    Upon the polished silver shine
    The evening lamps, but, more divine,
    The light of love shines over all;
     Of love, that says not mine and thine,
     But ours, for ours is thine and mine.

    They want no guests, to come between
    Their tender glances like a screen,
    And tell them tales of land and sea,
    And whatsoever may betide
    The great, forgotten world outside;
    They want no guests; they needs must be
    Each other's own best company. "

 by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow 1875

                                                       
 Early 1900s print.
Late 1800s prints above

 I almost wish we were butterflies and liv'd but three summer days - three such days with you I could fill with more delight than fifty common years could ever contain.  ~John Keats


                                                            Late 1800s print 

                                                        
                                                          
                                                            
                                                            
Until then, mio dolce amor, a thousand kisses; but give me none in return, for they set my blood on fire.  ~Napoleon Bonaparte, letter to wife Josephine, December 1795  I but know that I love thee, whatever thou art.  ~Thomas Moore
 
The simple lack of her is more to me than others' presence.  ~Edward Thomas




 Give me a kisse, and to that kisse a score;
Then to that twenty, adde a hundred more;
A thousand to that hundred; so kisse on,
To make that thousand up a million;
Treble that million, and when that is done,
Let's kisse afresh, as when we first begun.
~Robert Herrick, "To Anthea (III)"

 A man had given all other bliss,
And all his worldly worth for this,
To waste his whole heart in one kiss
Upon her perfect lips.
~Alfred, Lord Tennyson


 I can no longer think of anything but you.  In spite of myself, my imagination carries me to you.  I grasp you, I kiss you, I caress you, a thousand of the most amorous caresses take possession of me.  ~Honore de Balzac, letter to Evelina Hanska, June 1836
How did it happen that their lips came together?  How does it happen that birds sing, that snow melts, that the rose unfolds, that the dawn whitens behind the stark shapes of trees on the quivering summit of the hill?  A kiss, and all was said.  ~Victor Hugo
 I can no longer think of anything but you.  In spite of myself, my imagination carries me to you.  I grasp you, I kiss you, I caress you, a thousand of the most amorous caresses take possession of me.  ~Honore de Balzac, letter to Evelina Hanska, June 1836
 How my memory treasures every sweet stray moment of our past — handclasp, kiss and heart-beat, the passion of those dear unfathomable eyes, the rustle of garments, the gliding steps and lingering farewells! ~Byron Caldwell Smith, letter to Kate Stephens



 Once he drew
With one long kiss my whole soul thro'
My lips, as sunlight drinketh dew.
~Alfred Lord Tennyson


 You know you're in love when you don't want to fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.  ~Dr. Seuss


                                                            
I love your hills and I love your dales,
And I love your flocks a-bleating;
but oh, on the heather to lie together,
With both our hearts a-beating!

~John Keats
 Lastly, do I vow, that mine eyes desire you above all things.  ~Catherine of Aragon, 1535

                         My favorite is the print above above, look how tenderly he is holding  her. I hope everyone has a good Valentine's Day~

                                                     Gina


9 comments:

  1. Dearest Gina ~ So good to see a post from you and what a lovely one it is.

    My favorite of these is 'for all time'.

    Happy Valentine's Day to you ~ Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had despaired of hearing from you again (didn't realize you were other places on the net). What incredibly beautiful paintings/prints....and the quotations are lovely. Hope all is well with you. My heart is happier this Valentine Day for knowing you're still "out there" ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very kind Rebeca, miss your posts and others too.big hug, Gina

      Delete
  3. It is GOOD to see you again! Such sweetness and love; it would be difficult to choose a favorite, but if I could hang one in my home, it would have to be the painting of the lady in tartan with her lover in red vest above the Keats poem. The interesting thing to me, is how each artist captured the utter look of love on the faces of the MEN in particular. My goodness, do all of these hang in your home?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, that is what I look for mostly, the look on the man's face too. Two art chickees notice that :). Yes, they hang in my home, and more...super sappy heart here.

      Delete
  4. Hi Gina, Just checking in on you. I hope you are getting excited about your garden, this being the 1st day of Spring. i hope you will be posting on your progress in your pretty plot.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments , please leave one if you like. I try to respond to comments,but if I'm running behind, please know that I read each one before they are published. Thanks much, Gina