Sunday, January 31, 2010

LIFE is Really NOT All ABOUT Me....DARN !


 
I had something really goofy happen to me at the end of last Summer, something that made me realize how ridiculous and vain we all can be...but mainly me this time as I tell you what happened on my back porch.
I had been working in the yard, very hot late Summer day, hair put up, camisole top and shorts. Plus lots of sweat and dirt from my garden added to that ensemble.
I walked up to my back screen door, and I saw my reflection in an old 1930's mirror I had hanging by the door. I had put it there to reflect my yard back to me and so I can see my garden when I go in the house. Well, I glance at my reflection in the mirror , see an Ok-looking sweaty gardener-lady looking back at me...and open my screen door, still looking at myself...and,
WHAM !
  hit the door right into my forehead.
HARD.
I grabbed at my forehead, rubbed it , and then broke out laughing at myself ...
and felt God reminding me, " WHAM, it's not All about YOU Missy !" 
That admiring of myself got me good.
 My vanity had whopped me in the head too.
Now don't act like you wouldn't have looked at yourself in my mirror by my back door. Everyone looks in mirrors when we pass them, especially  if they are right in front of you. They reflect back all about YOU , and sometimes those ' mirrors' may not actually be mirrors, but the eyes of someone else, or the opinions of someone else , your worth in their words or their eyes...reflected back to you.
All of this ' looking ' at ourselves , pointing at ourselves with words or actions or dress...it is a ploy the devil loves to use to draw our attention away from God.
And on ourselves.
Me,
Myself,
and I.
And we are a pretty easy group here in America with all of the excessive ways we can now point to ourselves, and not point to God.
Facebook.
My Space.
Twitter.
blogs ( guilty ).
The media
Numerous other avenues for self-promotion and attention we have created, and more added yearly , are making US the main ' thang ' in our eyes.
In the Bible it warns about the ' end times' in 2 Timothy 3:1-4:

" But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come:
For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters. proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,unloving,unforgiving, slanderers,without self-control,brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong,haughty; lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God. "

I would venture to say without a smidgen of a doubt that is where we are today.
Again, awareness of all this SELF, ME , Over-indulgence can make us step back , and instead of magnifying ourselves so much,
magnify our magnificent God.
He alone is worthy .
Through our words, through our actions, through our work , and through our love.
Something to ponder for you today, be a blessing to just one person this week...
Make THEIR day.

Bless you ,
Gina
" For He know our frame; He remembers that we are dust. "
Psalm 103:14 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments , please leave one if you like. I try to respond to comments,but if I'm running behind, please know that I read each one before they are published. Thanks much, Gina