Sunday, June 27, 2010

SIMPLE Joy of a Summer BEACH Day trip to EDISTO Beach



Here we are on the 2nd floor of the Indigo Inn in downtown Charleston, South Carolina. Our very favorite charming place to stay in Charleston. My son is being goofy, I told him to stand still and look at me like he loves me...but instead he starts a giggle fit .
I love when kids have giggle attacks.
The fountain down in the courtyard where we eat breakfast. They have a large homemade breakfast, fresh fruit...lots of it, ham biscuits, muffins, pastries, cereals, yogurt, coffee and juices.
I love eating outside by this fountain.
You can hear the water, and watch little birds flying about ...as it is open above to the sky.


I loved her.
This is one of my very favorite pictures I have ever taken. It is of our son, reading out the baseball scores to his dad. He does this every day. He has brought his own box of Honey-nut cheerios for his breakfast as you can see.
He is our picky eater.
He know all the stats , he is a little baseball whiz.
Chipper Jones of the Atlanta Braves is his very favorite player, and the Braves are SMOKIN' right now in first place for the National League in their division. ( he told me what to write as I do not understand stats).
He is a very happy camper. We are eating up and heading out to Edisto Beach for a quick day trip. 
He is ready to roll soon, plus he is feeding the little wrens who fly down and eat his leftover cherrios and some of a biscuit.
We love this place.
My son picked out this heart stone for me as a gift here below.

He picked out this heart stone for me  ( on one of his many shopping excursions to the market with his dad while I go for my long walks through Charleston neighborhoods ) , and was a very proud 9 year old , as he wants me to put it with my heart rocks on the porch. He gave it to me and asked what was my favorite thing about our Charleston trip ? I told him a few things, and he looks at me and goes , " And getting this as a gift right "
I hugged him and said , " Of COURSE. "

You can see the courtyard from any room here, I took this picture from our room. We packed up and heading out of Charleston , and towards Edisto Beach which is about 50 minutes away. Here is our son after getting a milkshake on the way and he grabbed a beach towel and warmed up. 
Life is good.

Then while we drove down the highway, I spotted this..

A giant old 1960's advertising sign and display for Coburg chocolate milk.
I got a shot of it, I mean how often does someone see a revolving large plastic cow and milk bottle ?
I love chocolate milk.

Tried to get all these ' going there' shots, drove my husband bonkers as he could not stop for me to get the camera focused.
His wife was annoying him.
This is a very scenic little highway, has draping Spanish moss on huge Live Oaks most of the way in to Edisto.
Of course I could almost never get any shots as we were going about 60 mph.
Did barely get this of a woman selling fresh peaches and sweet grass Gullah baskets on the side of the road.
Voila' !! Finally got one great shot of the view you can see driving there.

I took so many pictures , as I enjoy the drive towards something I love...the anticipation when you go on trips to your favorite family destination is so great isn't it ? This little island is very small, not remotely glamorous, a family beach . It is a calming , happy place for us.
That is when I am not destroying the mood by fussing at my husband to slow down for me to take pictures !
He got very annoyed with me...I do recall a argument.
Oh well.
Getting closer. Let me explain again...if you have one drop of romantic blood in your body...the Spanish moss will entice more romance to surface in you along the way.
Almost there.
1 mile to go. 

We're here ! I could not get a picture of the welcome sign as we had cars behind us. And I am sure from your vantage point , you are unable to SEE the beach or ocean as it is just beyond that car in front. But we are HERE.
Quick stop at the Subway for a footlong turkey sub and chips to split, I have drinks packed...and we are off to park at one of the many public parking areas right off the beach.
It is about 95 degrees.
Hot.
Here is little Mr. happy camper.

Wiped out by some waves , little waves, but content.
So hard to capture the sound of the waves, the squawking of the seagulls wanting our chips, the laughing children. I remember laying down, covering my head with my baseball cap, closing my eyes...and listening to all the sounds.
Meanwhile our son found a friend to play with , sorry this photo is so blurry.
They had just wiped out and were going back for more.
I love how young children can make friends so easily.

We packed up within about 3 hours as a storm was coming, went to get a salad and pizza before we headed home.
The place we eat at , we always eat at... has a big screened porch to eat out on. We sit out there with our sandy swimsuits and shorts and relax.
Sweaty , sandy ,  minuscule seashell- bits on our toes people.
Soon we had  to go.
Time to hit the road.

Our son slept the whole way home.

I hope this wasn't too boring...I know you have special places you go too.

Bless you , be safe and sleep well,
Gina

" Thus says the LORD , Who gives the sun for a light by day, The ordinances of the moon and the stars for a light by night, Who disturbs the sea, And it's waves roar ( The LORD of hosts is His name ).." Jeremiah 31:35

11 comments:

  1. What a nice trip. I was smitten by your sons love of baseball. I have one myself who is 19 now. He is coaching baseball this summer for the Police Athletis League. He also will be playing this fall for our local state college. Tell your son Chipper Jones is the best. Growing up in Atlanta I too LOVE the braves. Have a blessed week...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great family trip. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like our family car trips, and I like beaches. It looks like you had very nice time! It is so sweet of your boy to bring you a gift! The fountain is very pretty, and spanish moss is something special!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I love the holiday trip, and I want more :-)
    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a fun trip. I love Spanish moss too, and have some that I got in a load of plants at a yard sale a few years back.

    Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gina,
    What a great trip, and how wonderful for you to have your son with such a huge space between siblings. You really get to enjoy him. I loved it when my boys were that age, we had so much fun and they did love their mom and were not yet embarrassed by it. "Her children rise up and call her blessed, her husband also and he praises her."
    Proverbs 31:28 Have a wonderful day. Meg

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you had a fun trip Gina. The Indigo Inn looks wonderful!

    Jeanne
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Joji- baseball is big here, glad you knew who Chipper was !

    Gardener on Sherlock- thanks for stopping by !

    Tatyana-Love, love Spanish moss too.

    Ellada- thanks, I will try to post a few more.

    Flowerlady-cool that you are trying to grow some Spanish moss but it should be fairly easy in Florida I guess. thanks much.

    Meg-Yes, they do grow way too fast. thanks !

    Jeanne-Indigo Inn is wonderful, you would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a great day trip! I wish adults could 'make buddies' like children do, life was so simple then.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's fun to see what it looks like there, so different from here. It does seem like it was a perfect little family getaway. My 11 year old daughter came in while I was looking at the heart rock picture and commented on cool it was :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great series of photos, and what a sweet boy you have. I love that little heart stone.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments , please leave one if you like. I try to respond to comments,but if I'm running behind, please know that I read each one before they are published. Thanks much, Gina