Monday, September 14, 2009

Evident Talents from God vs Not-So Evident Talents from GOD




I was pondering, or have been pondering about the obvious EVIDENT talents some people receive from God.  Like musicians, artists, singers, writers, sculptors, composers , and more, these are the evident talents.  I am not  referring to the gifts of  the Spirit :Prophecy, Ministry, Teaching, Exhortation, Giving, Leading, Healing  Romans 12 :6-8  ,that God has given each of us to demonstrate His love to others.  Though probably more the  FRUITS of the Spirit : Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness, and Self-Control , Galatians 5:22, ( boy am I lacking in many of those areas) , are the Not-So evident talents we do not recognize from God. 
We as humans walk around and observe our world, our environment...and we see or witness such OBVIOUS talent or ability...and think , " Ok God...they have that gift..what did you give me ? What is it that I can do or create that is that spectacular ?" Almost seems unfair that God bestows such unbelievable , evident talent...talent or skill that takes our breath away , and yet most people feel left out on where their talent lies.
There are some singers in my church, absolutely beautiful, rich, floating or soaring voices...no recording studio, no additions of anything to make them sound better...they are just supremely blessed with vocal ability , with sharing a song. Since I love artwork , I am always amazed at the skill required to execute and create a complicated maze of paints and oils to produce a piece of art...displaying magnificent beauty and vision. I especially get floored when I go to art museums and see the Old Masters paintings...the evident talent can make most people paralyzed with awe as they stand there.

Painting of Mary Magdalene at the Met in NYC
 
But I am starting to see that God does not judge our talents or skills as we do with each other. I believe that the fruits of the Spirit ARE our talent , too.
I believe He values the talent of kindness , self-sacrifice  , loving other people when they are not lovable , a good sense of humor about life...not crass or coarse , sharing , a person of gratitude , a care-giver...either a parent or a companion , a person who seeks to help whenever they can , a diligent worker at WHATEVER they do...I believe He values all our talents as equal...as necessary and important. So even if we are not a great singer, a great artist, a great musician , a great author , a great speaker, you can fill in the blank ' great____' , that makes you feel less worthy...we can still know that we have a high value to God. Way more than we will ever realize.
We can only do our best at what we are passionate about in life, and work on the fruits of the Spirit that are our greatest talents.
We can leave the evaluation to God.
Later,
 Gina 
" ..that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing HIM, being fruitful in EVERY good work and increasing in the knowledge of God. " Colossians 1:10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments , please leave one if you like. I try to respond to comments,but if I'm running behind, please know that I read each one before they are published. Thanks much, Gina