Sunday, September 13, 2009

Life Lesson My 8-Year Old Son Taught Me This Morning

We were on our way to church this morning , my husband driving...me up front with him and our 8 year old son was directly behind me in the back seat. I decided to teach him something from the Bible on the way there, so I proceeded to explain to him that I had read in the Bible that children were a blessing from God..and that meant that he and his brother and sisters were all blessings from God to us.
He chimed in from the back seat and asked me what does " Blessing " mean ? I then started explaining to him that a blessing was when God gives us a special gift , like him and his siblings were to us...and then I went on about how when a friend is nice to him at school , that is a blessing. Then I said that our home is a blessing, the foods we have to eat are blessings...".
He interrupts me from  the backseat again and says , " I could have understood you , but then you had to keep on going. "
I stopped applying my lipstick, looked at my husband...and we both burst out laughing. 
One of my best and worst qualities in that department is explaining...on and on and on. So instead of me teaching him a Bible lesson , God used my 8 year old to teach his Mom one.
Think I'll stop " going on "  as much now.
 From the mouth of babes...
Later,
Gina

  
True love, an 8 year old and his dog 
Then Jesus called a little child to Him, set him in the midst of them and said, " Assuredlly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. " Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Whoever receives one little child like this in my name receives Me."  Matthew 18:3-5

2 comments:

  1. Gina, I had only been following your blog for about two weeks when you lost your daughter. I tried to leave a comment to say how sorry I was for your loss but words failed me. Finally I have summoned the courage to speak to you. The first thing I will tell you is that my heart breaks for you over the loss of your daughter. I did not lose my daughter but she moved around the world and I thought I would never see her again. For 3 years I cried every day of my life. Every time I thought of her or the babies (she had two children) I would start to cry . My eyes were swollen all the time. Finally, I could not stand the pain any longer and I just had to turn her and my pain over to the Lord. It has been about 21 years now and I still try to help him out once in a while but for the most part, the pain has been replaced with love. I try to remember all the good times when I think of them. The hardest times for me now are when I see other women out with their daughters and I know it isn't something I will probably ever have again in my life. The dark days are not as dark now.
    I guess I said all of that just to say this. There is no certain way to handle grief. You just have to work it out one day at a time. I will say this, I pray you do not let it steal your faith because you have such potential for helping others. When I found your blog, I read every word of it and then I told every one I knew about this wonderful woman who was trying to be the best Christian she could be. One who loved her Lord, her family and her garden and loved to share it all with others. Try to hold on to Gina until the grief is bearable again. You may never be the same again but guess what. You may be better.......Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same 'affliction' - I, too, always have to explain! This was such a sweet prod from your little boy :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments , please leave one if you like. I try to respond to comments,but if I'm running behind, please know that I read each one before they are published. Thanks much, Gina