Friday, October 30, 2009

ANTIQUE Windows & DOORWAYS of CHARLESTON, South Carolina

I decided to drive down to Charleston, South Carolina for the day and see what I could find to post online about my favorite city. I got lucky and my youngest daughter went with me and we got to walk all over the neighborhoods to try to discover more architectural elements that make Charleston special. Here I am above at St. Philip's Church on Church St. , where I start all my treks. I am wearing shorts in late October as it was 75 degrees and that is the lucky part of living in the Deep South ! Let's go..
Here was a typical example of the large windows with some brick cornices above. I have said in  my other guides ( from Sept. ), that no storm windows are allowed over any windows here because of historical renovation restrictions. See the leaded glass windows, they are wavy, distorted and thick-looking..cool.

This is the most common windows here with the quintessential Charleston shutters with some original old hardware tiebacks. These are almost always open, rare to see someone close these on any home . 

 Beautiful unusual larger triple window with original old glass.

I really liked this old wood gate , painted brick red , that I found down a small side street.
The entire view of the red gate with old original brick surround wall with climbing ivy.

Here was a very grand doorway surround across the street from St. John's church downtown.
Close-up of the doorway, I remember taking this shot as my daughter was fussing at me to get out of the street so I wouldn't get run over . She gets that from me . 
More paneled old shutters, I would say 85 % are painted black here. Maybe 90 %.  There are a few renegade shutter-painters that drift to some other colors of the rainbow..but they are few and far between.

Black wood gate with metal insert .Wood gates are much rarer here than wrought iron gates which are more common.

Here was a long row of plantation shutters on a 1700's brick home.

As usual, charm galore with window boxes overflowing with flowers. Since it was late October, there was less flowers in the window boxes in most homes.

Black shutters, black door, with the salmon surround and elaborate molding and sidelights. Great ' Charleston ' look to mimic where you live.

Occasionally you run across doors that are stained, this was a large double-door with a historic marker to the left ,( which of course I did not read as I had so much territory to cover ! ).

These were great windows , can you see the old glass shine ?  New glass windows don't do that.
Close-up of the windows.
These were high up with their over-flowing planter boxes beneath.

I hope you can see these are NOT the ' faux' shutter made of vinyl or fake wood that we all buy at Lowes or Home Depot.  They have to be wood here, and yes the maintenance is more , but the look is so much more authentic and charming than vinyl ones. Almost all have the hardware tie-backs you see here.

Last one, this one is located right across from St. Philip's church . I like the anchor in the wall , nice touch . 

I will be doing a few more of these ' sights ' of Charleston . I have many more that I posted in September, check them out if you have time.
I hope you have many blessings today...especially the small ones,
Gina
 " Bring all the tithes into the storehouse , That there may be food in My house. And try Me now in this. " says the LORD of hosts, " If I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you such blessing that there will not be room enough to receive it. " Malachi 3:10